Sunday, November 11, 2007

WGA Strike: HELP OUT!!

I am not opening the file again, the strike isn't over. I am posting to let anyone out there who happens across this blog know what they can do to help.

In an interview with Michael Schur ('mose') and Jen Celotta, two writers for The Office, they said that viewers can contribute to the strike by writing to Mr. Jeff Zucker, President and CEO of NBC/Universal.

This is the address:
Mr. Jeff Zucker
30 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, NY 10112

Quoted from OfficeTally: "Be Articulate, be polite. Tell Mr. Zucker that you are an Office fan, and you want your show back. That you wont watch any non-WGA programming, such as Reality TV, until The Office returns."

In case you wanted to read the one I wrote:

_____________________________________________________________
To Mr. Jeff Zucker,
It is without hope of being noticed that I write to you this evening, having a full and complete understanding that you are even now being flooded with hundreds of angry letters and that you cannot possibly want to read them. Therefore, I will not focus so much on the content of my letter as much as the idea that perhaps it's sheer unopened presence can be one of the many which sway your course of action.
It has been said recently that you and the other CEO's consider we, the American populace, as being not unlike a lemming. We, in your alleged opinion, are more of a following body of people, rather than a thinking collective of intelligent individuals. We would follow right off the edge of a cliff. Now, on some issues I would perhaps be inclined to agree with you. I do think that the general population does not do enough thinking of its own accord and relies heavily on the opinion of faces in the media to tell them what to think. However, I do not believe that you, Sir, are correct on the subject of television and film.
Americans are not the blind, thoughtless creatures that will watch anything you happen to toss on screen. Well, let me specify. Most Americans are not that way. Will you find viewers who don't care what they watch, as long as it's something? Of course. Will you find faithful viewers like that? Perhaps. But these are a relatively small number of individuals without much cognitive reasoning. The rest of us know what we like and we know what we want to watch.
NBC is doing very well this season, I will be the first to admit. I think you've got a really great batch of shows going. My favorite is The Office and I will confess that I live my life Thursday to Thursday. The other days don't seem to matter as much. I must have my weekly Office fix, like unto the drugs teenagers are so warned about. I am mainly an NBC faithful, the only fictional show I follow which is not NBC is House M.D. I greatly enjoy My Name Is Earl, and 30 Rock, and I am thrilled with the new show Chuck.
There is some brilliant work being done in your studios, Mr. Zucker. It is amazing to me to see the talent of so many individuals being brought to the attention of the entire nation. It's a marvelous thing. However...Mr. Zucker, the shows being produced are not yours. They are not the network's. They are not even the American public's. The shows being produced have nothing to do with you.
Now that may offend you, but it is true. You cannot claim these works of fictions as your own. In public school, they call that plagiarism. You did not write anything, you did not act, you did not direct, you did not film - in fact you were in no way responsible for any individual episode. You are not the creative genius putting these things on television. You and those like you are only the ones who reap the benefits. Now, I am not informed on your specific salary, but I do know that it is far too much for someone who was not involved in the making of a show, or many shows.
Writers are the foundation of your livelihood, like it or not. Without them, you would be no better than the next guy on the street. They get you paid. They feed your families. They fund your recreation. They come up with brilliant ideas, ideas which are wildly loved by viewers, and they are compensated poorly for it. Your manipulation of our love for their work is offensive, to me, Sir because I cannot watch an episode online with a clear conscience knowing the people truly responsible for it are not seeing any reward.
Yes, the internet is the future of entertainment. The internet is the future of many things. It is amazing how essential it has become. But if it is the future for entertainment, it may as well also be the downfall. If things continue on this course, if the talent behind the work continues to be mistreated, then you will soon find yourself without writers, without shows, without viewers. If everything's moving to the internet and the writers aren't being paid for things on the internet, then what will they be paid in the future?
Please consider for a moment, Mr. Zucker: Let's suppose you created something - let's say you discovered a new way to power cars using soda cans. Now this becomes a huge sensation, of course. People are buying your concept like mad. At the beginning, you receive a nice payment for your work. This is all fine, except now companies are using your designs and plans and you're not getting paid a dime for it. In fact, those above you are saying you're not really all that important anyway. This would be outrageous, if course! You created the thing, without you it never would have happened.
Now, how is this scenario so different from what your writers experience? Is it so hard to see from their point of view? If so, perhaps you need a major paradigm shift, Mr. Zucker.
The American public does not want to see more Reality TV, which is further from reality than any fictional show you've got it seems. We do not want to see more contest-based shows. We would like to see our favorite programs return to television so that we may once more resume being faithful to your network. However, we don't want them to return unless you're willing to acknowledge the minds behind it all.
It is not my intention to offend you, Sir. Not is it my intention to degrade you and reduce you to ash. I am aware you are a big reason we get to view things on television at all. I respect what you do. But Mr. Zucker, I will not be watching NBC (which I love) and your reality shows that you will be filling the timeslots with. If it is not WGA, it will not come through on my TV.
I have confidence that you will be reasonable. I do not believe you are unintelligent or greedy. Please, Sir, honor the people who I have come to love. Honor the writers of The Office and all your other shows. Get The Office and its sibling programs back on television the right way. I know you'll do the right thing. This is one lemming who does not want to run off the cliff you put in front of me. So, from the Next Letter in your massive collection -
Sincerely,
"Quill"

____________________________________________________

So now it's your turn. Write! Get The Office back! Get the writers we love so much paid!
Thank you, and good night.

1 comment:

dirtyword.net said...

Get your 'writer.' shirts, hats,
buttons, mugs, and more at:

dirtyword.net

Show your support for the writers!